Entry Clearance Applications & workers under the Points-Based System
Everyone coming to the UK will require entry clearance.
Although some Commonwealth and non-visa nationals coming to the UK for tourism purposes are granted up to 6 months entry clearance upon arrival, all other visas require an application for entry to be made in the applicant’s home country.
If you are looking to work or study in the UK, you will need to make an application under the Points-Based System. Depending upon the purpose of your visit to the UK, you will need to apply under one of the following tiers:
- Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) – Those who have been endorsed for their leading work in science, humanities, engineering, medicine or digital technology as a leader or emerging leader
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) – Those wishing to set up or take over a business. Those endorsed by the Department for International Trade (DIT) or an authorised UK Higher Education Institution can apply under Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
- Tier 1 (Investor) – Those wishing to invest £2 million or more in the UK
- Tier 2 (General) – Those who have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor evidencing offer of a skilled job in the UK
- Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) – Those who have been offered a role in a UK branch of the organisation you work in abroad
- Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) – Those who have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor confirming a job offer with a faith community in the UK
- Tier 2 (Sportsperson) – Internationally established sportspeople endorsed by their sport’s governing body
- Tier 5 (Temporary Workers) – Those who are temporary workers in one of the following categories: Charity worker, creative and sporting, government authorised exchange, international agreement, religious worker, youth mobility scheme
Depending upon which route you apply through, the eligibility requirements will vary accordingly. We will advise you on whether you meet the eligibility requirements under your chosen Tier and will let you know what supporting evidence you will need to provide to meet the points requirement. We will also advise you how long you would be able to remain in the UK under your chosen route, any conditions on your stay and what your next options post the visa expiration could be.